Matthew J. Kushin, Ph.D. – Matt for short – is an assistant professor in the Department of Communication at Shepherd University.
He’s an award-winning educator who has the best job in the world: He gets to think, talk, and teach social media.
Classes he teaches or has taught include: Social Media, Politics & Social Media, Principles of PR, Strategic Campaigns, Communication Theories, Communication Research Methods, Applied Communication Research, Communication & New Media, Writing Across Platforms, Introduction to Mass Communication, Public Speaking, New Communication Technology.
Dr. Kushin’s research focuses on social media, politics, and civic life. He has presented to audiences internationally on the subject via the United States State Department.
Before joining Shepherd University in the fall of 2012, he was an assistant professor at Utah Valley University.
In the evenings and weekends – Matt is:
- On an adventure
- Bergamasco Owner: Scout on Instagram! Scout is a Bergamasco. Learn more – my blog post on Scout.
- Cooking favorites (lots of Mexican dishes, soups and chilis, BBQ) or trying new recipes.
- Known to enjoy hiking, cycling, mountain biking, sight-seeing, and is sometimes known to travel (Thank Kelin for that!)
- Reading 20th century fiction: F. Scott Fitzgerald over Hemingway any day of the week.
- Writing Short Stories: Yes, it’s true!
- Still wishing he was in good enough shape to play lacrosse! Realizes he’s not. So he watches it in TV instead.
- Watching Netflix (a few favs: House of Cards, Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Louie, Arrested Development, Portlandia, Mad Men, Breaking Bad), college football (Go Hokies, Hurricanes, and the Cougs!), college lax, and the Redskins.